Tuesday, April 1

Siezed by the mojo!

This is the medium pink Camellia. It is beautiful. I wont move the photo down to the others, as it wont enlarge if I do. I am so happy to see these blooms, what with my severly brown thumb!! I bought them, & planted them, & they are rewarding me!!


We are having almost perfect Autumn weather. It is cold at night, so we can cover up, & snuggle down. The days are just fabulously warm, & clear, with little or no humidity. This is perfect weather for most humans, in our neck of the woods, & for most animals it would seem!


As we sat outdoors, enjoying the company of friends, I saw a silver grey rat I shudder to think where it may eventually end up! running up into our fern tree, thence up to the roof. Horrors! So we must set new baits, & hope it goes off to die outside, & nowhere near any Weetbix boxes!!


I am happy to say, the sewing Mojo has siezed me by the neck, so to speak, & I have now got a very sore pair of shoulders, neck, wrists, & lower back. I have spent all day yesterday, & most of today, slaving over a cool sewing machine!!


The top flew together. I managed to get the back & batting layered on, & tacked, last thing yesterday. Today has been spent hunched at the machine quilting! I need to win Lotto, so that I can afford to have these flimsies sent off to be quilted. I am suffering & tend to get grumpy, & bloody irritable, & savage tongued snippy, when I am in severe pain.


Part of the suggested thoughts about my skin complaint involve not taking my usual pain reliever. It is supposedly bad for anyone. But hell! If it shortens my life, I don't care!! It is a trade-off. If I can live pain free, I will trade some time. Who wants to live as a fecking vicious savage grouchy old tart, when, with pain relief, I can just be a slightly, shortish-snappy-occasionally, old tart!


Anyway, here is the last leg of production. All those happy 9 patches are now a happy quilt! Just the binding to finish. I am so proud of my new technique with binding too, & I actually rather enjoy attaching the binding.





We had to take SG to the bus this morning, for his parents, who were both off to work early. He seems to have some anxiety about his teacher, which seems a pity, as he is so eager to learn. I would suggest a change of class might be a good plan. He has told him mother his teacher "Goes mad at me". That seems wrong to me, for a Kindergarten class. A very young, inexperienced, new teacher. Learning should be about fun! Surely??



When I came home, I nipped out to the garden, to enjoy the Camellias.

This is my darker pink Camellia. I love it's colour, but this is a little blurred. I did take this pic this evening.

This is the one I took this morning of the same flower, with the sun shining onto the petals.




This one is a delicate pale pink, & I do love it's simple single beauty.


This is another bloom on the white Camellia. It is very pretty, I feel. It does tend to shed it's blooms rather quickly, but it does last longer than the 1 day Fifi says her lasts. Perhaps I should swap my header- this one has no ants on it's pristine beauty.


Off to sew the binding on the quilt. It is to be a gift of appreciation. I hope it will be liked, used, & enjoyed.



Jean Michel Jarre, Equinoxe Part V

26 comments:

Pauline said...

Your quilt is a beautiful as your garden! What a treasure you've created.

Be as grumpy as you want - just promise not to quit blogging...

Peggy said...

Love the quilt! I use to sew years and years ago when the girls were little but now I just can't seem to find the drive to want to. You really put a lot of work into your quilt and its beautiful!

Mike said...

I had a rotten teacher in kindergarten too. She eventually told my mother to take me out of the class for good, which she did. I only went to kindergarten for a few weeks--thankfully.

Joke said...

Sewing was the only way my grandfather (he was a tailor, for those of you who walked in late) could ever relax.

-J.

quilteddogs said...

Wonderfully beautiful quilt!

Rosie said...

How strange it seems to me, the fact that your weather is Autumnal and ours is struggling towards Spring. Will there be a moment when we are perfectly balanced, do you think? When our skies will be indistinguishable before we part company again, each to our own Summer and Winter. Lovely quilt...

Leslie: said...

This is an incredible quilt - I love the brightness of the colours, even though there's a lot of black in it. I've never had a handmade quilt, but my grandmother once crocheted me a small afghan. I still have it to this day and she's been gone since 1985!

Take care of yourself - don't overdo but if you're aching from all the sewing, try a massage therapist. I can't live without mine! :D

Linds said...

Beautiful quilt, Meggie, and beautiful flowers! I see one of my camelias has a small openig flower too. Spring!So what is this magical binding method??? I need to know these things!

Mary Johnson said...

THe nine patch quilt looks lovely - I know it's a pain to quilt them on a sewing machine...my mom sends all but her small ones for me to quilt.

The flowers are beautiful - it will be spring here soon. Although it snowed all day yesterday the sun has been shining today and it's already melting.

keryn said...

Well done Meggie, the quilt is lovely. You certainly finished it quickly. I hope the quilting fairy stays at your house for quite a while, it's nice to feel inspired and want to sew.

Tanya said...

Ooh. Love that cheery quilt! What a lot of brights and fun fabrics in there! What could be better than sewing and flowers (and being pain free.)

ancient one said...

Your quilt is so pretty! Lot of work in that and you have the aches to show for it!

Your flowers are beautiful.

I can't stand the thought that the teacher is not treating SGS well.. he's so cute and sweet looking...

molly said...

Great quilt meggie...I love nine patch! I am always very happy when I'm sewing on binding. I do actually enjoy that part for itself, but also for the fact that it means I finished! Lovely camellias......

Mary said...

There just seems to be so much work in quilts. I have probably said before that I would enjoy getting the material but then wouldn't get on and sew it.

And I am a very poor sewer.

You on the other hand (despite sore everything) have done a magnificent job!

The Sagittarian said...

That quilt looks wonderful! You are such a clever lady, all the best to you!

Christine Thresh said...

Beautiful flowers and a delightful quilt. Very nice post.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that quilt. And I know how you feel. I can't machine quilt, and can't afford to send my quilts away to be quilted. So I hand sew until my fingers bleed (often because of bad sewing technique rather than extensive periods of sewing) and feel sorry for myself. But the joy when it's finished is almost worth the pain. Almost.

Kitty said...

Gorgeous flowers - aren't they pretty?

I agree with you about SG - it's awful when going somewhere is a daily pain. Hope things look up for him soon.

x

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love your camellias. The center on that white one is spectacular.

Finished quilts! Aren't they wonderful. Now you are on a roll.

Thimbleanna said...

Excellent mojo Meggie! I love the scrappy quilt and I predict it WILL be loved! I also agree about SG -- these first few years are when he will learn to either love or hate school -- hopefully the teacher will figure that out!

Tanya Brown said...

I envy you your garden; the Camelias are such a joy!

Your quilt is marvelous. You have been working hard; it seems like you knocked it out in no time at all! (Easy for me to say, of course, since I wasn't the one hunched over a sewing machine.)

Anonymous said...

I just love single camelias too but you are right they don't last long enough. And your quilt is lovely .... you are prolific! I could never keep up with you , plus I am too selfish I have trouble giving them away.

Lucy said...

It interests me that you find being a grouchy old tart more acceptable than a fecking vicious savage, I find the latter has a certain chutzpah!

Lovely quilt, hope the aches are better soon. Most of my flower pics have bugs in, I quite like them that way.

Teodo said...

Wonderful quilt and..........fantastic flowers.
ciao ciao

Katie said...

Love the quilt. So colorful. And the camellias. When I discovered we have on I was so excited. I should get more since there are so many lovely colors.

Q said...

Dear Meggie,
The camellias are very beautiful!
I like them best with bugs too!
Your quilts are lovely. I bet each one is treasured.
I also think a massage after a long day at the sewing machine would be excellent!
I have not opened my machine for so many years...seeing your quilts is inspiring.
Sherry