Sunday, February 17

A little progress!

I have been getting the groove back, or getting the mojo, muse, whatever you like to call it.

I have finished the Throw I was working on. Though it is not a project of gargantuan proportions, nor is it complicated in any way, I am still quite pleased to have it finished, & already in use!


I spent yesterday quilting it, in a very simple fashion. I used stitched either side of the ditch & feel quite pleased with the result, as the fabric is a bit of a feature. I would have loved one of those rose motifs or hearts, or Popcorn, that the longarms can do, but seeing I am just using my domestic machine, the limitations will stand.


A close up, that may show the simple quilting. Police, of the quilting variety, need not look at all closely. I claim it has the homely look, & after all, I made it for utility, to be washed often, & used with careless comfort.



Here it is, on the lounge suite it is to be used on, & I think the colours are quite good for blending.


I took this pic outside, to try to get a lighter photo which showed the quilting. I have decided to call it "Time for Roses". Meaning we should all take time to smell the roses in our lives.


I spent last evening dozing & sewing down the binding. I finished the binding this morning, & found it very relaxing, sitting sewing, & I watched an episode of 'Dalziel & Pascoe' we had taped, while I sewed.


My Granddaughter loves a quilt I made featuring Bronwyn Hayes stitchery pictures. (I have blogged this previously, & dont think this will enlarge, as I have moved the pic.) To get to the point, GD asked if I would make her a quilt with stitchery pictures, & I have some already completed, just requiring the 'quilt body' to go around them, so I am thinking this will be my next project.

GD will be 19 in May, so perhaps if I aim to have it finished for her birthday.


*****************

We have had more rain, heavy downfalls at times, but nothing as savage as the poor residents of Mackay, & Townsville, up in Queensland
I hope Tracey, Peppermint Patcher, is ok. They have had some floods up there, some really serious water problems. And, like us, have had no real sun, for days. I don't mind the lack of sun, as long as it is cool, temperature wise.



In other news, we must have an almost full moon. I have been having really strange dreams again. My mother, who I did not dream about, for a very long time after her death, featured in one on Friday night. It was so vivid, I woke feeling very sad, realising she is gone.


Last night's feature dream was just strange. I dreamt about my son- he was both an adult and a baby in the same dream, so it was as if he was 2 people. Very distressing, & very vivid, staying with me all day, in great detail. There would seem to be a huge gaping hole in the knowledge of what dreams might indicate in our everyday, conscious, lives, which is an impression I get from reading quite a few other blogs on the subject.


Simon & Garfunkel, El Condor Pasa

21 comments:

heartinsanfrancisco said...

Meggie, your quilts are so beautiful! The colors of the first one blend perfectly with the lounge suite, and it would be wonderful to curl up with it.

I have many antique quilts but have not completed one of my own yet.

I think you're right that we don't know enough about dreams. Nearly all of mine have babies in them, either my own grown children as babies, or others, or baby animals. I wish I knew what it means.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughts. We have remained high and dry. The flooding has really only been rivers crossing low bridges and cutting roads. Our drainage is amazing. Once the rain stops the excess water flows away very quickly. We have had well over a metre of rain this month. I'd like it to stop now.

love the quilt and the sentiment behind it.

Mary said...

That quilt is so pretty and will give you great cheer over the winter months I am betting.

Aren't dreams weird. And I know what you mean - when they are particularly vivid they do stay with you throughout the day.

Linds said...

The quilts are beautiful, Meggie. I finally got the sublimation prints and transferred them to fabric at my old school on Thursday so I am good to go on the special projects I am doing for each of my children. They won't follow me here, so I can tell you that I saved all Geoff's sport shirts and am making them each a quilt out of them. A memory quilt. And I chose some photos of them with their Dad and sepia-ed them, and transferred them into fabric (not on to) and they will be spread about. I will post photos when they have them.

I love to hand quilt simply around the ditches, and there is nothing better than sitting in the evening with a quilt on my lap!

Linda G. said...

I've never made a quilt, but am feeling inspired seeing yours. The picture quilt is especially intriguing...

I had a tiny book once that told what some things symbolize in dreams. It said a car symbolized your life. If you're in a car and you're driving, you feel you are in charge of your life. If someone else is driving, you feel you're not the one in control...Well, one night I dremt my whole family piled into my car and drove off without me! It was a really hectic time for me and seemed appropriate..

Marja said...

Your quilts are absolutely stunning Meggie.
Strange the things we can dream. I hardly ever remember a dream, but when I do than I remember every detail as well.

Leanne said...

Lovely quilt Meggie glad you found your mojo I have lost mine at the moment. I love Bronwyn Hayes stitcheries looking forward to seeing your completed quilt.

Pam said...

Lovely quilts. Ah, one day I will do one. I hope.

Mike said...

Maybe it is something in the air because I have been having the most vivid and disturbing dreams lately.

ancient one said...

Our pastor even mentioned a dream he had today! I didn't dream, if I did, I don't remember it!

Meggie, your quilts are so pretty! I'm sure your GD will be so happy with the one you are planning now.

fifi said...

Hmm. Looks like you are getting more creations completed than I am at the moment. Perhaps YOU can have an exhibition!

Very clever and pretty quilts they are.

Thimbleanna said...

Oh Meggie, I'm always so thrilled to see when you've posted a quilt. This one is just adorable -- I just love it! And I really love the quilting -- much more than I would have any other type. I really think that years from now we're going to look back at all these all-over machine patterns and wonder what the heck we were thinking!

The Sagittarian said...

What a clever person you are, the photos, the quilts, the blogging...well done!

Ali Honey said...

Both those quilts are lovely Meggie. The quilting suits it very well.

I think you are getting NZ weather over here. Somehow it has got mixed up, cause parts of NZ are perilously dry- Waikato and Taranaki in particular.

Maybe your dreaming and your returned creativeness are in some way linked? I think our lives go in cycles, good and bad, up and down. We need both to balance and appreciate when things are good I guess.
I hope you are feeling better healthwise too!

Flea said...

Wow Meggie, that's beautiful, I love the colours.

Christine Thresh said...

I'm glad you got your creative juices flowing again. Sweet quilts.
I love dreaming, but I can never figure them out.

Andrea said...

I only ever do simple quilting too Meggie. It is lovely and your stitchery quilt is wonderful. I'm doing some stitching just now and love it. Could you email me your address - I have something for you.

Pauline said...

the quilts are lovely - lovely! I like that the rose one is for "careless comfort."

I, too, have been having vivid and disturbing dreams of family members - perhaps something in the wind has blown from your continent to mine...

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You know us domestic machine quilters DO NOT have to compete with the long arm quilters, or apologize for the way we quilt. your quilt is lovely and there is nothing I like better than straight line stitching.

Tanya said...

The Time for Roses is a beautiful blend of color and pattern!

quilteddogs said...

Absolutely love the colors and they go great with the sofa.