Friday, August 8

Waiting Rooms.

I seem to spend a good deal of time sitting about in Waiting Rooms. I find that often the stale magazines are of no interest at all. I can't be bothered reading made up gossip about so called 'Stars'. Most of it is rubbish & even if it were true, I couldn't care less.

If I am going to be in a Doctor's waiting room, I usually go prepared, & take my current book with me.

If I am uncertain about the length of a wait, I often amuse myself assessing & secretly 'naming' studying the other patients. I try not to overtly stare, & find I have quite a good peripheral vision.

Last Monday's visit to the 'Oven' resulted in a lengthy wait. Seated beside me was Ms Flamboyance. She had red/gold hair, & it was 'big hair', if you know what I mean. It appeared wiry, & fiery, & seemed almost like a bunch of flickering flames atop her large, cheery looking face.

She had very trendy glasses, with dark square frames with heavy side pieces. Her brilliant lime green woolly cardigan, knitted in a lumpy yarn, was teamed with a very bright purple crocheted scarf. Her bag was a huge grey snake, or possibly crocodile, skin imitation, well, I hope it was imitation!with patent leather handles, & corner trims, & buckles & bells. Well, no I lied about the bells, but it seemed to shout along with her 'outthere' shoes, & her designer looking jeans- which were probably the quietest part about her.

As I sat admiring her, I thought she looked as if she would be a fun person to know. There would never be a dull moment if she was around, I am sure. She also suggested 'Leo ness' to me. I almost asked if she is a Leo?

The next secret study was a very small, thin quite elderly woman, whose thin little hands reminded me so much of my mother's I felt like holding them. Her brushed white hair was very neat, & her clothes were pressed & clean & quiet & neat. Her quiet little voice when she spoke to the receptionist, also reminded me of my mother. Her neat shoes, soft & clean, on slightly knobbly feet. A black pair of slacks, & a warm camel coloured coat. Her bag was black, & very quiet. She was Miss Modesty, & was the very opposite of Ms Flamboyance.

Different generations, of course, but also totally different looking personalities.

Waiting in the chemist shop this morning. A large aging couple come to the counter. The wife, says to the husband "Do you want to do this?"
He replies, "No no, you are my secretary, you can handle it."
She leans into his ear, & whispers "Don't you you mean Sexetary?"
He gives a little laugh, & says "Oh yes!"

hmmm something to think about....sneaking looks at his walking stick...

My name is called, I go to collect the medication, pay & move along with my day.

Horrors. I have been doing some (gasp) housework! I am not sure how that happened but Gom was vacuuming so I did my share of cleaning, dusting, changing linen in preparation for a dear friend who is coming to stay.

Reading Ann's blog this morning, she features an old house, & wonders what is to become of it, & she mentions that she dislikes change.

I don't mind change, but it depends on where or when. I dislike the changes my body seems determined to inflict upon me. I dislike losing abilities I once had. That type of change is not nice to face.
A reminder that we are, after all, not immortal, as our 18 year old selves once thought.

My daughter loves change in her house. It is not unusual to visit her only to find she has completely rearranged every piece of furniture, or the colours on display. I tend to like my home to 'stay put', you might say. I like to have my clutter, & quilting disorder about me. It might look messy, but I know what it is about, & where everything is.

I do like the change some people afford themselves in colour schemes of their bedrooms etc. I like the way a lot of Americans seem to decorate their homes to the Seasons. It is a European thing too, I suspect. We tend to stick to the same old same old, in this Southern hemisphere. Well, when I say that, most of our family did, & most of our friends do too. With, perhaps redecoration every so often- mostly less often!

Gom likes order, & dislikes change, but he got it into his head, he wanted to change the bed quilt. Now we have one of my favourites on there, but it is also one I liked to use in the lounge. I will just have to make another I suppose.

How do you feel about change? Of any type?

Dire Straights, Love Over Gold.

25 comments:

ancient one said...

Thanks for mentioning my blog.

I spend a lot of time in doctor's waiting rooms.. seems like I've spent a good part of my life in there..

In my younger days, there were several older people who would ask me to take them to the doctor. I would always wait for them.

Then when I had my own reason for going, I was on the roller coaster from office to office all over town.

Now I accompany my mom and my husband when they have to go to the doctor.

And you know what? I'm the most patient person in the waiting room. As long as it is not me that is seeing the doctor, I can wait and people watch as you do.~ann

Tanya said...

I am not very good with change. I like things the way they are and can get very irritated when the plan suddenly changes on me. I think I need a bit more spontaneity in my life.

jovaliquilts said...

I like both change and stability. I guess for me the trick is keeping some things the same while others change. If it's one extreme or the other, I'd go nuts!

Your Leo woman story made me laugh. When I was 18 I was sitting in an airport waiting for a delayed flight, and a total stranger walked up to me and said, "You're a Leo!" Well, I AM a Leo, so it really startled me!! He just said that and walked away.

Anonymous said...

I am so not good with change. Some change, yes, but it takes me a while to 'get into it'.

Joke said...

Change, only when needed and only as needed.

(I like your waiting room pastime.)

-J.

Dawn said...

Change is good, but only when I'm in charge--ha. *grin*

Pauline said...

it depends who's changing, what's changing, and why...

Kellie said...

I don't do well with change really. As with many of the others if it is me that is the instigator then no problem! I love your waiting room stories! Enjoy your weekend!

VioletSky said...

I can get quite stressed over change that is imposed on me. But I love to change things myself.

I also HATE surprises.

Strider said...

Sounds like you have "prophetic" type of gifting (as per your people watching skills). Not everyone can pick up on things and get impressions as you do. Excellent. Change? I own 6 pairs of shoes......4 of which are over 4+ years old. My newest coat is 8 years old....I'm not cheap.....but why change when things are working well? Have a great weekend.

The Sagittarian said...

I think the reason us in the south keep our houses much as is, relates to perhaps our largely Scottish ancestry (in my own case for sure plus I'm lazy!!); I like change but sometimes the pace of change can get frightening. I guess life is tough - getta helmet! :-)

Christine Thresh said...

Your descriptions of people are marvelous. I'm right there with you.

Mary said...

I loved the detail in your observations of people in the waiting room. The small, quiet, neat woman really appealed to me. Maybe because she is my opposite in some ways..

I quite like change.

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I don't deal well with change at all. But, I am working on that... it seems to me that I can be too unflexible at times and I fear that I will become an old fuddy-duddy if I don't become more accepting of change. I always carry my quilting magazines with me to waiting rooms as it seems the only time I have to catch up on them.

Jonah K. Haslap said...

Depends on what I'm changing. Underwear, yes. Cities, no. Home furnishings, yes. Jobs, no. Unfortunately I've changed cities and jobs four times over the past four years. Coincidentally, the same amount of times I've changed underwear. Which not so coincidentally also explains the four dates I've had over the past four years.

On a more serious note, it makes me so happy that you enjoy my stories. I mean, I'm a 20 (almost 30) something gay Jewish attorney from Washington, DC, and you're a fabulous grandmother from Australia, and yet on some level there is a connection that keeps you coming back to my blog. It's almost enough to make me a humanist instead of a misanthrope! Not quite -- fortunately, otherwise I'd have nothing to write about -- but almost!

Margaret Cloud said...

I usually take a puzzle book, and I to find that I try to figure out people around me in the waiting room of my doctor, I like your blog, I am from the USA, glad to meet you.

molly said...

I wonder if their ears were burning as you invented their stories?! I'll be glancing over my shoulder next time I sit in my doctor's waiting room, wondering if there a Meggie around sizing me up!

Jo said...

Don't you just love people watching and putting stories to them? It's one of my favorite pastimes. Sometimes I will make up conversations they're having. I sometimes wonder if people are doing that with me, and I'm sure they are!

Anonymous said...

I am a people watcher too - maybe that is why we are all so eager to read each others' blogs!

Mary Johnson said...

Ugh, I did housework today too as we're having the managers who report to Keith over on Monday evening. Luckily Keith helped out and cleaned all 3 bathrooms for me.

I usually like change but right now I've had enough and just want to settle in for a while.

Rosie said...

change has to be just enough to keep me alert and alive but not too stressed

julieQ said...

We love to watch people too! A prime vacation occupation, when we have the time to breath.

Granny J said...

I like some change and love the right surprises, but I have found this year of travel to new places that it takes me more than a day for my composure to catch up with new surroundings and a new set of people. Then I have to readjust to being home, which I'm doing right now. But when I go out of the house, I'm very sensitive to small changes or different ways of looking at things. Keeps me on my photographic toes, it does.