Thursday, July 24

The Backwaters of the Mind

"Where is the Olive Oil?"
"What Olive Oil?" feigning ingnorance.
"What do you mean, 'What Olive Oil?' The Olive Oil that lives here? That I use for cooking!"
"I don't know. I haven't seen it."

Of course he hasn't. It lives in the exact same spot on the bench in the 'business corner' of the kitchen, every day. It has always resided there. We may buy different brands, but nevertheless, it all lives in the exact same location.

"Don't tell me you threw it out?"
"Well if the bottle was on the 'rubbish side' of the bench, I may have." Note, careful non-admission of guilt. He would have made a good lawyer. Deny Deny Deny.

Meggie stumps off down the stairs to investigate the bin. Yes, there is the bottle, half full. Lying on top of cardboard, & newspapers. How could Gom not notice that the bottle was half full? I had been preparing a potato dish. I used a little olive oil in the dish. He had swooped into the kitchen like the Kitchen Nazi, & whisked the offending bottle-in-the-wrong-location off to the garbage bin! I had probably put the dish on to cook, & momentarily left the kitchen.


We seem to be into the 'business end' of winter. It has got very much colder. It began raining yesterday, after being bitterly cold & cheerless for the day. I was very glad to get into the 'Oven' yesterday, & cook a spell. I am beginning to wonder if the UV light is having a beneficial effect. I havn't had the urge to claw myself apart since Saturday.

It is pouring with rain this morning, & seems to be getting colder since I got up at 6.45am. I have a little heater I use in this room. I am thinking of turning on the ducted air to warm our living area.

I dreamt vividly last night. Another new house. More unexpected rooms, & much space to delight me. Neighbour guests invited themselves to visit & barged in the front door. How curious. I sneaked away & left Gom to entertain them, - or not. This house was situated close to the beach front. It was built for a lot of family or friends to inhabit. There was a pool, & a wonderful garden. Some of the rooms remained furnished, & what delights they contained.

Sometimes I have a better life in my dreams than I do in reality! This particular dream had all sorts of interesting side diversions. The police came to see if we had seen a person drown. There had been a body found in the surf. They told us we were now living among the 'others'. I have an idea they meant that in a racist way.


A chance to observe humanity is always welcome.

The Biker couple, dismounting the huge bike. She, shakes out her long, Ruby Henna-dyed hair, as she removes her helmet. He, sporting a wild & woolly black & grey beard, removes his helmet, & shakes out.... his Ruby Hennaed hair!!
I smiled at the image, all the way home. They were not young Bikers. They had reached portly middle age. They must have invested considerable $$ outlay, in their leather outfits, as they surely would have had to be custom made, to accommodate added girth of the years. I will say, they both looked happy! They were not going to be 'Grey' Nomads!


It was so warm in the car, once the heater began to work, I urged Gom to 'go for a drive'. He, ever mindful of the price of petrol, declined my urging. Home we came. Let the dogs inside, & they seemed very grateful to be in the warmth.

We watched a DVD, Chaos Theory. It was quite harrowing in parts. I enjoyed most of it except of course those parts when drowsiness overtook, in the warm haze of the artificially heated air. Gom snarls me awake, & so if I get away with snoozing a little, & don't get caught, I can't exactly backtrack to catch up! Of course, it is a different story if he snoozes. With a DVD, he can't use his classic, "The commercials were on!" I don't say much, best keep the peace.

We both laughed when we read an article stating that aftery surveys, & much research, it has been discovered that old men are much Grumpier than old women. We could have attested to that - freely too, thus saving much money wasted on the research! haha.



Bob Dylan, Forever Young

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

A most enjoyable read. Keep cozy warm. While you're chilled, we're up in the northern hemi having the heat, although today has been lovely. The weatherman does promise the hotter days are on the way and I sigh because I do prefer the cool.

Anonymous said...

You're not alone. While reading this, I was forcibly reminded of my parents....

Catalyst said...

"The Adventures of Meggie and GOM" always leaves me laughing.

Thimbleanna said...

You crack me up Meggie! That olive oil scene could have happened at my house -- hubby is always "cleaning" up behind me and driving me nuts!

Mike said...

The whole olive oil thing happens around here quite often. It doesn't always involve throwing things away, but it does often involve "re-arranging."

molly said...

It amazes me how much money is wasted on surveys and research merely to confirm what any sane person could have deduced for free!

Jellyhead said...

Oh my goodness - I am constantly amazed and amused by the adventures of you & 'The Kitchen Nazi'!! I love the wry humour with which you write about it.

Of course old men are grumpier, and in my experience it starts early ;-)

Rosie said...

I have to say that I put up with a lot less than I used to from my GOM...I am getting too old to be messed with!

Linds said...

You do make me smile, Meggie. I love your posts, and GOM is certainly providing a lot of great blog fodder!

Marja said...

Meggie you have got such a great sense of humor. The way you put daily life in the spotlight makes me laugh out loud.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. I am afraid, I must confess, I may be related to GOM. But not that fast, however, if I have fallen over said object several times, I will throw it out.

Mary said...

My attention was caught by the fact that you have not scratched since Saturday.

Please Universe - let this be the beginning of the end of it!

Jeanette said...

Oh Meggie I had quite a giggle when I read this , just sounded like my DaughterYou put something down and its gone or been put away. I say to her if I stand still long enough you would have me in the bin....

Ali Honey said...

Yeah! less itching!!!

Kitty said...

Sorry to hear about the cold weather. We have heat! Hooray! At long last. Mind you, now I've said that, I bet it goes cold again.

Did Gom apologise for throwing out the Olive Oil?

x

Pauline said...

I'd have anointed GOM with a bit of that oil...

Teodo said...

Meggie your GOM is like all tha men in the world ....A BIT INATTENTIVE.
ciao ciao

Tanya Brown said...

Crossing my fingers regarding your oven treatments.

I prefer your dreams to mine. Last night mine included bees shaped like small cheese-colored brains with wings. Unfortunately, that kind of thing is typical.

Flea said...

I could have sworn the biker bit was in your dream.

I just know that I'm going to be the grouchy one when we age, as I'm the male in the relationship and my husband is all female. He's emotional, artistic, verbal about everything, in touch with his feelings. Drives me nuts!

Have you tried one of those natural sun lamps? Ott makes a good one. Might help GOM, too. :)

ancient one said...

I've had that house dream many, many times. But I don't think mine was on the water front... I just see the inside... now, I'm jealous of your dreams..LOL But not your cold weather... As hot and as stormy as my week has been, I prefer it to COLD weather anytime...

Enjoyed this post so much. You do have a way with words!!

MarmiteToasty said...

WHAT??? he didnt put the bottle in the recycle box lol.... loved reading this post.... you have such a way with words..

x

Christine Thresh said...

As I said before I love those house dreams.
I got a little confused -- were the bikers in the dream or in real life?

Anonymous said...

Hi Great ole man is doing well Give him my love LOTS of it

Anonymous said...

Hi Great ole man is doing well Give him my love LOTS of it

Anonymous said...

Hi Great ole man is doing well Give him my love LOTS of it

Stomper Girl said...

Ooh! DO NOT throw out the olive oil GOM. Very important.

Lucy said...

I hate that being poked awake when I fall asleep in front of the telly, as if I can help it! Mond you I'd like a man who does the vacuuming...

I liked the bikers, they were real weren't they?