Friday, July 25

There Was a Little Girl..

Remember the Nursery Rhyme





"There was a little girl,


Who had a little curl


Right in the middle of her forehead.





When she was good,


She was very very good,


But when she was bad, she was horrid."







The Shirley Temple look was still fashionable when I was a little girl. Curls seemed to be desirable. I had the blond hair but the stick straightness seemed most unfair.



Coupled with the fact that my mother lied to me, telling me if I ate those dry horrible crusts off the bread, my hair would grow curls.



I believed her, & in later years I told her I thought she had committed child abuse, or at least cruelty, by lying to me, & she had further decieved me, by telling me my hair was getting curly.


It was a strange fact that the usual childhood accidents that befell me were all deemed to be my 'fault'. I had a broken bone, from a fall, yes, my fault. I had a severed fingertopwell it was almost severed, someone stuffed it back on, & just bandaged it up. It aches today, & I suspect it now has arthritis. It was, of course, my 'fault'.

The almost skinned off heel - I'll take the blame for that. On & on it went.

Of course, the truth was, they were all just accidents. They were nobody's 'fault'.

When my children had their share of childhood accidents, I tended to quickly tell them it was my fault. Though of course if I was not present, I couldn't take the blame, but I kept assuring them it was not their fault. Surely, an accident is just that. No one needs to be 'at fault'.

I quickly reassure my grandchildren, it is no one's fault. Accidents happen. That is they way of life.

Today's odd sight was an elderly woman, dressed up smartly for the winter chills. Woollen trousers, nice woollen coat. Woolly scarf. The surprise to me, was her almost violent, Leopard skin patterned handbag, with leopard skin patterned shoes. I kept wondering what could possess an elderly woman to choose an animal print for handbag & shoes.

****************

Our Adult Granddaughter has now got ChickenPox. Passed on by her small brother no doubt. She is very spotted, & very miserable. It certainly looks as if she is much worse then her brother had been.

He is well over his bout, has been back at school, & is bouncing all over the place. He & Granddog Oscar were having a game of tag, when we went to visit.




*****************

This is the flimsy of "Rainbow for Joey-Lee". A nickname for our daughter. I was making it in secret for her, as I know she just loves brights. She visited us yesterday, & caught me with the quilt on the table being basted, ready for quilting. She was overjoyed when she found out it is hers. Now I have to get busy quilting & get it bound & completed.




I played around with placement of blocks, & in the end just 'went for it.' I rather wish I had looked at a photo of placement before I sewed it all together. Never mind, I know it will be loved & enjoyed.

It is not Art, it is Utility. Combined with Love. No idea how I am going to quilt it, but it wont be anything fancy.



John Denver, This Old Guitar.

25 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

Hi, I came here via JBelles blob, and oh my, what a pleasent surprise....

I would so LOVE to learn how to quilt.... you have such a talent.. the quilt is just gorgeous..

Gonna get meself a cuppa tea and scroll back and read a little more..

x

Mary said...

Hello dear little Meggie with the gorgeous smile and beautiful straight hair!

Andrea said...

Caught in the act eh Meggie ? It is gorgeous and now you have to get it done as she is waiting for it. My mum told me the same thing about eating your crusts too. The only time I had curls was after I had a couple of disastrous home perms - I still cringe now - lol.

Anonymous said...

That is the same quilt pattern that I've just done for Jack. It looks so nice with the borders. I should put borders on Jack's qulit, but then it'd be big enough to cover a camel.

Joyce said...

I too have straight hair and longed for curls. I was told gravy would do the trick-it didn't. I can't believe my granddaughters spend hours and $$ straightening their beautiful curls.
The quilt is looking wonderful.

Pauline said...

you have made art of utility - that's the best combination.

Ah, the thin, stick-straight blonde hair syndrome. I recognize that. My mother didn't try to trick me. She would find me despairing over my hair and say, "Pretty is as pretty does."
Sigh.

She and I used to fight over bread crusts - we both like the outsides of bread!

Rosie said...

But you have princess hair like my daughter's...blond and shiny and fine and straight. Me and the boy have pony hair...thick coarse dull and not quite curly but wont hang properly...

jovaliquilts said...

Love that photo of you as a kid -- you look spunky! And I'm with your daughter, I love bright quilts. Throwing the black in with the brights really makes them pop.

Tanya Brown said...

Lovely quilt, engaging picture of you as a child.

I do love the color palette you often use.

Linds said...

I had curls and longed for straight hair..... Ridiculous, isn't it!

I love the quilt, Meggie. I have so much stash that I think I am going to sew some strips and see what happens. Brights are beautiful!

Kitty said...

Awwww, you were gorgeous! I'll be you still are ;-) x

smilnsigh said...

Count your blessings, on your hair experience. My poor daughter didn't have curls either. And so, I pincurled her hair every night. Talk about *child abuse.* -evil grin-

Ahh yes, chicken pox when older is the pits. I had it when in High School and that was old enough, to remember it as awful. Yish...

Hey, that older lady probably always wanted leopard skin stuff. Maybe couldn't afford it till now. Or maybe she never had the guts to wear it, till now. -giggles-

You are all together tooo crafty, do you hear?? Whatcha' tryin' to do? Give me a complex? -gigggles- I'd never even attempt what you do willingly. :-)

Miss Mari-Nanci
Smilnsigh
Photos-City-Mine
When Twilight Embraces

Granny J said...

Ah, yes -- I too remember Shirley Temple, she of the headful of curls. I do believe that there was an Official Count, by the way, something up in the 50s. As for the quilt, it's a beauty; I agree, all those brights are grand. But don't pick on that elderly lady for the leopard spots; I think it's wonderful to be able to buy warm faux furs to enjoy the beautiful patterns without injuring a critter.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful quilt Meggie. Also when myd daughter was little people would say "Isn't it a pity she has your hair" (straight)"and not your husbands"(beautiful and wavy).I've not seen his hair that way in over twenty years as he took up cycling with the close-cropped look.I love the photo when you were a child. It is delightful.

quiltmom anna said...

Meg,
You were cute cute cute- I loved the sweet picture of you...
I remember having to sleep with pin curls and rollers and I am not that old LOL
Your daughter's quilt is gorgeous- I can see why she is thrilled -
Have a great weekend doing fun things with friends and family..
Hope your grand children are soon recovered from the chicken pox- it is not fun to have those spots...
Regards,
Anna

molly said...

Lovely little Meggie photo!And that quilt is a stunner---beautiful colours! You did a fine job of colour placement...

ancient one said...

Not Art, you say... I disagree... It's a wonderful quilt! Only an artist could put together those colors and it all come out so beautiful!

I've noticed a lot of older ladies picking out leopard print things...I don't see what they see, either... I'm so old fashioned...

You were a cute little blonde even if your hair didn't curl... mine wouldn't either and still doesn't unless I get a perm.. and I hate those things!!

Have a good day/night!

Maggie May said...

You looked similar to me when I was a child. similar hairstyle, poker straight in spite of all the crust eating! How I envied the ringlets on some girls. i got blamed for everything too.
Lovely quilt!

Anonymous said...

Meggie our Mother told me I would get hair on my chest if I ate the crusts -- but I loved crusts anyway . Never did get a very hairy chest(or even much of a chest! ) , but other parts got quite hairy as you well know !

Thimbleanna said...

Au Contraire Dear Meggie -- I'm going with Art for that quilt! It's beautiful. I love the colors and really love that border fabric. I'll bet your daughter is thrilled!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I heard that rhyme many times when I was little. I had curly hair which then just became wavy most of my life and now it is curlier again. I grew up knowing I was horrid.

The layout of your quilt is perfect, nice and bright. I'm glad she likes it.

Q said...

Dear Meggie,
So glad you are staying warm and so buzy!
Your quilts are beautiful. I love this one. Brights are fun!
Birds and bugs here...hot and humid.
Sherry

LBA said...

OMG - possibly the cutest pic of a little girl ever - you could have won beauty comps, Meggie ! :)

Stomper Girl said...

Oh Meggie, you were SO CUTE with your lovely straight blonde hair! And I love your philosophy of not apportioning blame. It's bad enough when you hurt yourself without getting guilt on top. Unfortunately Mister Fixit doesn't always remember this.

Tanya said...

What a lovely, lovely quilt! The border fabric is just perfect! I can imagine your daughter being overjoyed at finding out it is hers!