Wednesday, September 12

Pieces

This is another pic of the sky last evening. This is my view, when I am sitting in the lounge. The tallest tree in the centre of the pic, is the one where large black birds are building, or have built, their nest. There are some smaller black & white birds who have built their nest in the tree to the left, which is a Norfolk Pine, and it has rather bare top branches, we think as a result of the drought.

It seems that Mr & Mrs Large Black have taken a distinct dislike to Mr & Mrs Black & White, & they dive at them over & over again. As far as I can tell, the black & whites don't venture into or onto the tallest tree.

It seems that every year, there is a large black bird which comes from Papua New Guinea, to spend the spring & summer in our neck of the woods. The noise these particular birds make, can be maddening. It would not matter so much, but they begin their endless irritating call around 4am. They call loudly, & seem to just repeat the same loud infuriating sound over & over. One of our neighbours hates them so much, he swears if he gets the chance he will shoot them with his air rifle. (I am sure he won't really) He even rang the Council to see what or if, they could do anything. They told him, they won't & can't.

I am not sure if Mr & Mrs Large Black are the intruders from overseas, but I don't remember seeing them nesting in that tree last year.

*****
I pinched this off another blog, but I really like it, so I am writing it again.

" Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet, is fighting some kind of battle."

*****

Joni of My Piece of Heaven tagged me for 2 memes.
Here is the first one.
RULES: You have to post these rules before you give the facts. Players, you must list one fact that is somehow relevant to your life for each letter of your middle name. If you don’t have a middle name, use the middle name you would have liked to have had. When you are tagged you need to write your own blog post containing your own middle name game facts. At the end of your blog post, you need to choose one person for each letter of your middle name to tag. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged and to read your blog.
I do have a middle name that I detest! So I wont use that, I will choose a name I like, instead. Lynn. Lynn has the same number of letters as my real middle name, so I am not cheating too much.

L. Life's free treats! They don't all seem like 'treats' at the time. But on reflection quite few events could be called a treat if I look at the results.

Y. Yellow, one of my favourite colours. I love yellow roses best of all roses.

N. New. New lives, always a wonder & a gift.

N. Nature. Native flora, fauna. Natural light.

*****

The second Meme, is 10 questions.
1. If you could have super powers what would they be and what would you do with them? (Please feel free to be selfish, you do not have to save the world!)


2. Were you to find your self stranded on an island with a CD player...it could happen...what would your top 10 bloggers island discs be?
Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra, Opium
Ben Harper, Fight for Your Mind
Chris Isaak, Baja Sessions.
Phoebe Snow, The Best of.
Joni Mitchell, Blue
Janis Ian, Restless Eyes
Los Indios Tabajaras, the Collection
Simon & Garfunkel, 20 Greatest Hits
Ray Charles, Genius Loves Company.
Enya, Only Time, The Collection.

3. If you were a smell what would it be?
Joy, the perfume.

4. What bird would you most like to be?
Owl.

5. If you were a bird who's head would you poo on?
I wont say on this public blog.

6. Are there any foods that your body craves?
Fish

7. What's your favourite time of year?
Autumn

8. What's your favourite time of day?
Early morning.

9. If a rest is as good as a change which would you choose?
A rest.

10. If you could have a dinner party and invite any 5 people from the past or present who would they be? (Living or deceased.)
My Mum, GOM, My 3 children. (Yes, boring to others, by my favourite people in the world.)

****
And here is a little dirty ditty I wrote, after contemplating Men in Skirts.
If you are easily offended, please avert your eyes!

Kilts.
You have to be Spartan,
To dress in the Tartan.
It will leave your cheeks chilly.
It may chafe off your willy,
But at least it will muffle the fartin.

I am supposed to tag others for the memes, but I wont name anyone. I have the feeling everyone has done them by now, but please feel free to be tagged if you would like to do them.

Now, I am off to search for a CD I couldnt find. Grrrrr! I wonder if 'the others' have borrowed it??

24 comments:

meggie said...

Oh dear! I see I forgot to put a Super Power answer.
I got so distracted looking for one of my favourite CD's I forgot!
So, in light of that, I will say a super memory!

Anonymous said...

You are naughty! As every good man (in my family any way) knows.... there is nothing as funny as a fart joke!

Tanya Brown said...

Meggie! I knew you were quite talented, but really, that limerick is superlative! It's not everyone who can get the meter correct, make the lines rhyme, and work in the topic of intestinal gas at the same time.

I liked your "be kinder than necessary" quote as well. Not only is it true, but really, why should kindness be budgeted out like calories or money?

fifi said...

fartin' spartans, chilly willies....it's all happening in here today!

That bird is a koel.

Mine is currently being answered not by another koel, but by a currawong. Yep, at 4am.

I think the koel comes from Indonesia, they are a member of the cuckoo shrike family and they toss out baby birds from nests and leave their own egg. They are horrid buggers.

To se my two wattle birds frantically trying to feed the huge lump of koel baby twice their size is infuriating.

~Bren~ said...

Boy I know you well...I was not surprised at any answers and I can even be certain of number 5!!! Great meme..I got tagged too, I better get my posted.

Thimbleanna said...

Loved Kilts. Only a wise old owl could write such a thing, so you've made an excellent bird choice!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love your Kilts ditty.

Paula said...

I LOVE your po-em.

ancient one said...

I like your view from your lounge. In winter I spend a lot of time watching birds out my front window. I hang the feeders close to the front door so I can see them from several different places in my room.

Your poem was cute. LOL

Jenni said...

I have lots of native birds here, but not that one I don't think. We have bush curlews who screech all night like a bunch of babies are being murdered, but as it happens most nights you get used to it. Chloe is home, and has been at the fence growling at the curlews - I told her not to bother.

Ali Honey said...

Oh Meggie you are a laugh! Love the quote and if everyone practised it I'm sure the world would be a happier place.

I love Owl( Ruru )too, but do you really want to be asleep all day and hunting for food at night?

Unfortunately most of the birds we have that are a pest come from over there. None are noisy, they steal buds and chase other birds away.
A tui waking me up is a delight but a peacock that yells at every other noise is funny but could become annoying I suppose.

Mary said...

That view looks like it would be woderful in all weathers and seasons. At this time of year I get very nervous about swooping birds - I have never been swooped but am quite phobic about it...

Mary said...

wonderful, wonderful in all seasons!

Stomper Girl said...

Great limerick. I love owls too.

Jellyhead said...

Loved this entire post, but especially the quote and the poem (har har haaaaaar!)

My birdnerd husband says (like fifi)that the annoying black bird bird is a koel. They are guaranteed to drive an insomniac crazy (and I remember trying to sleep before an exam and truly wanting to kill one of those birds)

Hope you get a better sleep tonight!

fifi said...

AND I'm still not over that burning-armpit-hairs comment. Oh, the horror.

Unknown said...

Meggie you are so naughty - I love the Kilts ditty :o))))))))))

Joni said...

Meggie you are a joy! You really leave me wondering what types of birds those are at your home. Crave fish? Yuck. I guess us landlocked American's wouldn't choose that as a craving. I loved the poem. LOL. You have a great day!

Aunty Evil said...

Ohhh that bird! It is the horror of my life when the weather gets warmer. I heard ours for the first time yesterday, it sends shivers down my spine. 4am indeed. Bloody mongrel thing it is.

Please send your neighbour here if he has success ridding you of yours.

meggie said...

Hi All,
I think Fifi & Fatty are correct, & that bird is the Koel, waking us all, in the wee hours, with it's ghastly call. I say why does it need to come here? Couldnt it stay at home, whereever that might be.
We also have screeching Mynah birds, that are reaching plague proportions here. They have taken over all the native birds habitats, hereabouts, & we dont see any Lorikeets, Rosellas, or Little Blue Wrens, like we used to. Just horrible Mynahs.
Oh & I found the CD. I swear the others had returned it, when I went back to re search places I had already searched -twice!

caramaena said...

Lovely saying :) and funny ditty ;)

btw I'd choose the rest too!

crafty said...

I think my husnabd could greatly benefit from wearing a kilt.

Yellow roses are my favourite too, my wedding bouquet was a bunch of yellow roses.

Anonymous said...

Oh Meggie, you do make me laugh. I love the verse about the Tartan!
I agree that birds can be very annoying in the early hours. We have a rookery nearby and at certain times of the year it is unbearable. Always puts me in mind of the film, Steel Magnolias.
LOL
Jenny

fifi said...

oh, the koels....

they need to call at 4am, otherwise,
they wouldn't get heard above the noise of the day.

I guess it works best at dawn
otherwise
they wouldn't do it.

I just thought of that bright idea and had to tell you.

:-)