Sunday, December 9

Little things..

It is so hot & humid, I am tired of complaining about it. I have given in, & turned on the airconditioner.

Gom in his infinite madness & perhaps as a legacy of his mad or crazy English forbears has gone out to MOW the lawn. Perhaps he is hoping to drop dead of heatstroke, or something. Who knows, & it is useless to try & reason with him. Even our daughter told him he is insane to want to go out in this. All to no avail.

We have had our various checkups. Who wants to realise they are getting old? Not us. He has finally gone off to have his eyes tested, after months of me begging him to have them checked out. His mother went legally blind from macular degeneration, plus some other condition. I certainly dont want Gom going blind, if it can be avoided. He has early stage macular degeneration, it was discovered, & badly needed a new prescription. He is also getting Transitional lenses to help with his light to dark problem. So he really was overdue new glasses. He has been given a little chart to use to check his eyes regularly for any changes.

My tale of skin problems is depressing. Now I am off all my medications to try to see if that is the problem, & I am taking dreaded Prednisone for 3 days to try to stop the itching. Day 2, & no relief.

We had the night from hell last night. It was so hot, & neighbours had a party. It was not particularly noisy, as regards to music, but laughter & voices kept waking the dogs, & us, & so I was up & down many times. Slathering myself in more & more cream to try to stop the incessant itching.

Hissing at the dogs to shut up. Trying to sleep. In the end I got up at 4am, & tried reading, with the fan going flat out. It seemed to work, & the final voices seemed to stop chattering next door around 4.30am.

I have a headache, which is probably due to the heat, & perhaps lack of sleep.

I have been vainly trying to get a table runner done, using Finn's pattern she shared with us. Because of the heat & running about, & babysitting, I have not spent much time on the sewing machine. I ran out of one of the fabrics, but have used another the same colour to fill in, so who knows how it will look in the end. It is just stash fabrics & seemed an easy little project to kick start the sewing again. I am not fussed about Christmassy things, so I dont mind if it is not quite the classy item I envisaged in the beginning. haha.


Waiting to be cut into sections to sew together.


One good side effect of coming off my blood pressure medication is the fact that I can see my ankles again!! There are no huge swollen Hippo legs! Yay. I can even see the ankle bones. I won't like the headache which will eventually kick in, but hopefully the itch might stop.
I go back next week to see how the blood pressure is, & what the next step might be.

I have been searching about for a meme I might like to do, & was fascinated with the letters to the 13 year old self. Mike of Tongue in Check did a very good version, & so did Catalyst.
I have been thinking about it, but not sure I am ready for something so indepth.

The day has slipped away. We had visitors, heavy thunderstorms, hail, much lightning, & very heavy rainfall.

Time for bed. Good night, & good wishes for the new week about to begin.

Cat Stevens, Tea for the Tillerman.



15 comments:

Tanya Brown said...

GOM is a fortunate man, fortunate that you got him in for eye testing. This is case in point why married men live longer and are healthier than those who are unmarried.

So sorry that the skin problems are continuing, and that it's now time for Medication Bingo. It sounds horrid. I'm impressed (but glad) that you've even be able to type. Me, I'd be hunting down the partygoers and shoving entire bottles of Chablis down their refined throats.

Hmmm. A meme. How about giving us your Christmas wish list, a list of items you'd really like to have or things you find unbearably silly?

Joni said...

Good grief! I think you need to come to Kansas for your summer vacation. Just in time for the snow! Getting old is a &%^%#@!

sueeeus said...

Oh Meggie, I'm so sorry that you're suffering. I hope you are well soon!

Mike said...

We truly are on opposite sides of the planet. You are battling heat and humidity and I am battling freezing temperatures, snow, and freezing rain. Right now I would rather have the heat and humidity, but ask me how I feel in 8 months.

That meme really is a lot of fun. I can see how some people might be a bit put off by it because it could be like a trip down memory lane with ax and crowbar, but all in all it was fun to do.

Joyce said...

The wind chill here yesterday was -39. I'm sure that would stop your itching! My dad had macular degeneration. It is very gradual and even at 93 he still could see but not well enough to read.

Linda G. said...

My Mom has macular degeneration, but we've found that "wet" macular degeneration can sometimes be helped by an injection that dries up excess fluid in the eye. She has had good results with this with her left eye.

Meggie, I hope your skin condition clears up soon. I wish I could do something to help...

Catalyst said...

Oooohhh, a shout-out! Yes, Meggie, the "letter" was a bit off-putting but fun once I got started. Give it a go.

Jellyhead said...

Oh, Meggie, there is nothing like an incessant itch to drive one to distraction. I'm so sorry you are still having to deal with this. I'm sure you know all the basics - no soap at all, keep as cool as possible (including showering under tepid water at most) etc etc.

If it turns out your blood pressure goes high again, it may be worth asking your GP to put you on a different blood pressure medication, if possible. A couple of types cause ankle swelling, but there are another couple of types which *don't* - and ankle swelling is not much fun, especially in summer heat!

I hope things improve for you this week Meggie.

Warm regards,
Jelly

Pam said...

Oh dear, poor you. Hope this week is better. Love the picture of your little grandson!

Pauline said...

gosh - hope things are improving on all fronts. Doesn't it feel sometimes that life is ganging up on you?

I popped over and read Mike's letter to his 13 year old self. I may have to try that, too, though I doubt I can match his wittiness...

Marja said...

You've got quite a bit to deal with. Wish you good luck. I am not very good with heat. Here it is about 29 degrees but with a nice breeze wich is usual in spring and the beginning of summer as you know. Take Care (I love the table runner)

Stomper Girl said...

YOu must be a kind neighbour. I would have felt tempted to call the cops if the noise was still going past 2AM....

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me like you need a loooong sleep in an air conditioned room on cool cotton sheets.

I may need that too, now that I've said it....

Lucy said...

I have to say I don't think I'd want to live somewhere where it was so hot at Christmas time, or really even so hot at all. It's chilly, wet and windy here, and sometimes I'm fed up with it, but it's what I'm used to!
Hope the itchies go away.

smilnsigh said...

I'm sorry for the heat and the skin problems.

I don't understand why blood pressure meds would give you swollen legs. A diuretic goes with blood pressure meds, to not let swollen legs happen.... But I don't know about your meds.

Mari-Nanci
{from the Northern Hemisphere were it is reading freezing out, on my outside thermometer}