Friday, July 13

HOW Many Years??

Well, here it is, our 41st Wedding anniversary.
And this was taken on the day. And I dont need rude comments about the hat thankyou! They were all the 'go' back then.
I dont really know how I came to wear it though, as I hated hats, & never wore them as a rule.
Over the years I have been asked did I keep it to use as a family 'po'. Family can be so unkind! Actually I did keep it for a number of years. Cant imagine why, as I never wore it again.
The day got off to a good start, here this morning. 5.45am we are woken with retching sounds coming from Honey.
How odd to think I had posted about such a terrifying sound, recently. You guessed it, we never got her off in time, so we got up, changed all our bed linen, & GOM said he would remain up.
I insisted he go back to bed, it is still cold, & he would be lost if he got up so early in the morning. So we wished each other "Happy Anniversary" & I began my day, & he returned to slumberland.
No idea what the problem with Honey was, she went off outside, then returned looking for some breakfast. She seems perfectly happy now. I felt sorry for her, as she always endeavours to get off the bed in time, as a rule, if she is not well.
We still havent decided what we are doing for our little celebration. Lunch probably, as it is too cold for oldies to go out at night, haha!
At least the choice of food will be much improved on what we had on the evening after we were married. We might go to a nice Chinese Restaurant for Yum Cha, as we both enjoy that.
We went to what was considered one of the top Restaurants in Auckland, for our 'wedding breakfast', in the evening after we were married. They had such delights on the menu, as Mushrooms on Toast, as an entree. And I can report, they were tinned mushrooms, because I asked. And the reason we can remember the menu so clearly??
My mother in law stole a copy of the menu! I was so mortified. She stuffed in under her jumper, & kept her coat closed. The waiter knew it was missing, but he wasnt about to frisk a large woman in many layers of warm clothing!!
I really cant remember why we got married in the depths of Winter. As I recall, I think GOM, who of course was NOT GOM in those days, just went off & made the booking. So there we were. It was a Wednesday. It was about 3.30pm.
We had to rush off to try to find a wedding ring to fit me. I had really slim fingers, & all the rings we found were too large. With no time to have them altered. And I wanted a broad wedding ring. Finally we found a small jeweller who had just the ring I wanted. He happily obliged us by altering it while we waited, & laughed when he learned we were getting married that very afternoon.
Then GOM had to rush off out to the airport to collect his mother, who had not actually been invited to the wedding, but decided to invite herself! And invited herself to stay with my mother! We had figured since we weren't actually having a wedding as such, we wouldnt bother about invites. And GOM's family all lived in the South Island, so it never occurred to us anyone would bother coming up. It was GOM's second marriage, & I was not the flavour of his mother's month.
My mother was quite stunned on meeting GOM's mother. She had never met anyone quite like her. However, she made her welcome, & did her best to find conversation. And I dont think she stayed too long. That is a little detail I have forgotten.
And despite all the predictions to the contrary, we have had a happy marriage mostly. Sure it has had it's share of ups & downs, but we have had a lot of fun along the way. With more to come, I am sure.
Roy Orbbison, anything.
Dusty Springfield, I only want to be with you.
I hate blogger, for not publishing with all my carefully made paragraphs!!grrrrr.

35 comments:

Joyce said...

You both look so young and happy. I found one of our wedding photos in Dad's stuff. Maybe I'll post it when our anniversary rolls around on July 25 if I don't forget it (the anniversaly that is)again. We also looked incredibly young. I guess we were. Lol.

Unknown said...

Happy anniversary. 41 year is a long time but just the beginning.

Birdydownunder said...

Happy Anniversary and many more.

Tanya Brown said...

You look lovely and together you make an adorable couple.

GOM did well for himself, that's for sure!

Miss Robyn said...

Just popping by via Rowans and I see you live in Australia! yay for us!! that is a handful now..

Julia said...

Happy Anniversary Meggie & GOM !
41 years and still going strong.
You look lovely!

Jellyhead said...

Aw, Meggie, you look so gorgeous - a classic beauty. GOM looks pretty happy about it all, too!

Happy Anniversary!

Fiona said...

I like the photo, Happy Anniversary.

smilnsigh said...

Congratulations!

And I'm so sorry Blogger is giving you fits, and on your anniversary too. The nerve! ,-)

And thank you for agreeing with me in my blog... that the older we both have gotten, the more we dislike Summer heat.

Mari-Nanci

His Office, My Studio said...

Happy Anniversary!! You both are such an inspiration to all of us.

Emma said...

Congratulations! You both look so gorgeous in the photo. Have a lovely day. At least you get to sleep in lovely fresh clean linen tonight ;)

Love, Emma

ancient one said...

Congratulations on your anniversary... and I like your hat! Sorry your dog was sick. Hope the rest of your day went well..

About your comment...yes, that was a joke... My good hearted husband thought it would be funny to put a "possum" recipe up on the blog. It was actually a muskrat recipe, that I changed up some...LOL

Thimbleanna said...

Well look at you two cuties! And you in your stunning hat! Congratulations and Happy Anniversary! ;-)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Happy, happy! What a lovely tribute to enduring love and commitment. Congratulations.

~Bren~ said...

Well I LOVE the hat! You look like Sophia Loren! What a beautiful couple. I am seeing GOM in a whole new light...he's pretty cute!

CONNIE W said...

Congrats on the big 41! Had my first marriage worked out, we would celebrate our 43rd come December...gosh does that make me feel old. I'm happy for you that yours did work out and that you reached this milestone! Cheers!

*BB* said...

Congratulations! He looks like my first love so I can see why ya feel for him! What a good looking pair you two make!

molly said...

Lovely picture Meggie! Hope you and GOM had a happy day---and 41 more happy years....

Linda G. said...

Happy anniversary to you and GOM!
You were a beauty, meggie..... I have a hunch you still are, and you and GOM are a great looking couple.
Here's wishing you many more happy years together!

Rowan said...

Happy Anniversary! There's always something to amuse the younger generation in these old photographs - in our case it's DH's hairstyle and long sideboards:)

Aunty Evil said...

Just as it is good luck for it to rain on your wedding day, it is even better luck for your dog to chuck up on your bed on your 41st anniversary! :)

Congrats to you both, I love the pic!

Leigh said...

Congratulations Meggie, and may your share many, many more.

riseoutofme said...

What a romantic GOM was!

Sweeping you off your feet like that!

Happy days ... lovely post Meggie!

riseoutofme said...

Forgot to say ..

VERY FETCHING bonnet ...

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Meggie and GOM!
You've done well. 41 years! You only get 20 for murder these days. LOL. (I'm 8 behind you)
Jenny

Stomper Girl said...

Happy Anniversary! I think the hat looks fab! And you two are a gorgeous set of newly-weds.

Hope the yum-cha was nice if that is what you ended up doing.

Tanya said...

Happy Anniversary! I was just thrilled to find out that we have the same wedding date!!! We certainly picked a good day didn't we? (Though you were in the midst of winter, we were in the midst of summer!) Much love and best wishes on this day and for many many more!

Catalyst said...

My, what a handsome couple. You, Meggie, were drop dead gorgeous. And GOM had a devilish look in his eye and a grand smile. Again, Happy Anniversary.

Ali Honey said...

Hi Meggie, Sorry I was away yesterday and missed commenting on your Anniversary.I hope your day improved from it's rude beginning. I love Yum Cha too....was it good?

Belated Best wishes to you both, GOM too,here's to many many more!

Anonymous said...

Come on Meggie, get your fingers working and tell us where you went for lunch or dinner for your anniversary! Did you sleep in or what?
Jenny

nutmeg said...

Congratulations and best wishes for your 41st Meggie and GOM!

I love that photo of you both (and the hat is just the thing with that suit).

Jeanette said...

Congratulations. Happy 41st Anniversary Meggie and GOM.
Your hat was very in fashion back then and all young people wore them including me. (((HUGS)))

Lone Grey Squirrel said...

Happy 41st Anniversary to you both. You have been truly blessed. May God continue to bless you both and may many young couples learn from your fine example. :)

Teodo said...

Congratulations and happy 41st anniversary.
Hugs from Italy.
ciao ciao

LBA said...

Happy Belated !!!

I think the hat looks wonderful :)