Thursday, September 14

I have a Brown Thumb!

A lovely looking day here today, & should be a good chance to get out into the sad looking garden. I know the GOM would love to rip out everything in the small backyard garden, & start again. It would probably be a good idea, now we have got rid of neighbour Privet- grrrrrrrr!- which has caused us probelms with drainage. GOM spent a gleeful few days hacking branches off it, after nice neighbour had poisoned it, & he had to leave it when the rains came, but is planning an assault on the trunk now. Neighbour is quite happy to have it removed, & had no idea it had caused problems, until we approached him. We are very lucky with our neighbours, all are lovely folk.

Back to my Brown Thumb... I just dont seem to have luck with my plantings, living here. I cant even grow things in pots- which is a pity because in one of our lives as Hoteliers, I had indoor plants that were spectacular, & the envy of all who saw them. Different climate? Who knows. Even when we lived in Sydney I had many lovely plants in pots... life's treats they were! Now I seem to be able to produce lots of brown curly things!? I do have a very healthy beautiful Daphne which seems to thrive in spite of me- alas I planted it on a side of the house, where I cant really get the joy of it. I would not dare to transplant it- it would surely die.
Perhaps my energy has all been diverted into the patchwork & quilting I now so love to do.

A blessing I DO have is rellies which I not only love, but really like! I will soon be winging my way to NZ for Beloved Brother's 60th birthday, & am really looking forward to seeing all my lovely family. It is 8 years since my mother died, & I have not been back to my North Island 'home' since then. We have twice been back to GOM's South Island 'home' in the years between.

BB & I had a wonderful holiday, about 9 years ago, driving about NSW checking out our grandfather's birthplace at Eden, on NSW Sth coast. Beatiful country side, & a visit to Canberra completed a lovely trip. We loved the place, it was March, & still very warm, & so pretty with the trees just starting to turn golden.

3 comments:

nutmeg said...

My post today deals with our "sad looking garden". The job is soooo big that I've called in the heavy artillery!

h&b said...

We just got rid of Privet too .. still more to go though .. I am wishing my life away here waiting for Friday ( it's only Monday at time of typing ) .. when my treelopping men come back again.

Stupid garden of weeds !

meggie said...

h & b, hope your garden lopping goes well! We had a huge Privet in our garden when we first bought this place, & GOM spent hours lopping it down, & disposing of it. We discovered a nice set of steps in the garden under all the 'weed trees' & now my beloved Daphne lives & thrives there.

Over the years we have rarely stayed anywhere long enough to establish a 'proper garden' - & if my knee doesnt get better, we dont be able to stay here either, as we have stairs, & .....imagine battling 2 dogs to greet people down at the front door! hobble hobble.