Wednesday, January 31

Beliefs & Fads

I have a running 'debate' with one son.

We have tossed this about for years, & I admit I have changed my mind a few times of just what I do or do not believe.

I definitely don't believe in Creation.

I definitely don't believe in Evolution.

So where does that leave me?

My son says I must believe in one or the other.

But, I just cant. Neither seem to be rational, or convincing. There are too many holes in both streams of thought.

I need to read more about this fascinating dilemma. There are more people 'daring' to 'come out' and admit they dont believe in a GOD.

From time to time my son sends me articles from various sources. One particular one, was of an interview with Richard Dawkins, who has written a book 'The God Delusion'. I would like to read the book.
Has anyone out there managed to read it yet?

And now for something completely different.

Tupperware parties, Jewelry parties, Lingerie parties.... you name it.

I have never hosted one of those, but I once hosted a Cosmetic Party.
It was in the 70's when such things were all the rage.

I actually used the particular makeup they sold, & liked it, so foolishly I agreed to hold the 'party'.
I am usually the one, at such gatherings, who declares out loud, when they are trying to sell hideously overpriced 'astringents', that you can buy Witchhazel at the chemist for peanuts, & it works just as well.
Or I testdrive something, on the spot, & it proves not to come up to scratch.
I once offered to be 'made up'. The result was something so fearsomely clown like, I screamed at my own image in the mirror in the hall, before I realised it was me.

As for jewellry, I was the one who didnt get the order, or when it came it was not what I had ordered. It was overpriced, & looked like a sheltered workshop effort with wire & a pair of pliers.

And after my Cosmetic party, I never hosted another! The salesgirl was busy showing everyone the lovely soap-on-a-rope that was so popular back then. Holding it aloft, & swinging it about. Telling everyone what a lovely gift it made.

Our son came into the lounge, & said loudly, "My Dad has got one of those, he wears it on his willy to the shower!"
There was a shocked silence, then I burst out laughing, & so did everyone else.

Luckily his Dad was not at home, or I am sure he would have been very embarrassed- or not!

Anyway the Party craze seems to have died a natural death. You dont hear of them these days. They didnt ever suit me, I like my 'things' yesterday, if I make my mind up to buy something. Not in 2-3 weeks time, when I have forgotten all about wanting/needing it. I am not sure how such things are run these days, if they still exist.
In those bad old days, you paid your money before you received the goods, & then, you had a terrible time trying to get the money refunded, should you be dissatsified.

And the 'rewards' for all your efforts, & provision of 'supper'??
One of my friends recieved a plastic egg poacher thingy for being hostess- she threw it out in disgust, & was cured for life, of being 'Hostess'.

5 comments:

Joyce said...

How about giving Reincarnation a try? Lol.
I am with you on the selling parties. There are still lots of them going on around here but I never attennd them. There is too much pressure to buy stuff you don't want. Avon is the most popular and then Tupperwear but there are lots of others too.

Quilting Kim said...

Meggie - I have to agree with you on the Hostess parties - It seemed like all of my friend though they were the greatest thing since sliced bread and quite frankly, I would rather watch paint dry than even attend another one. Thankfully, they outgrew them.

Stomper Girl said...

You're just moving in the wrong circles, Meggie. Those parties are still going on!! They happen surprisingly often in Mother's Group circles, which explains why I do own one item of Tupperware! But on the whole, I'm not a party shopper. There's too much pressure. And some of the people who franchise the parties are a l.i.t.t.l.e b.i.t s.c.a.r.e.y ...

"Hi I'm Trish and I'm here to tell you all about Tupperware. Trish loves her Tupperware. This is a photo of Trish's cupboard at home, with all her Tupperware"

I'm quoting from the last party I was at.

Scarey.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I've been to a few of these parties and I'm in agreement with the lot; they're not fun, for anyone(the guests, the hostess). They still exist here in the U.S., in fact, I was invited to a cosmetics party at a neighbor's just last week. I declined, thanks but no thanks.

craftydabbler said...

I don't believe in God. I do, however, believe that we (and by we I mean everything) are inter-connected, that there is an energy (for lack of a better word) that we all share. Evolution makes sense to me, but I am sure there is a lot that we don't understand.

Ugh, the tupperware/candle/lingerie/cosmetics party scene. I am so glad that none of my friends do any of that stuff.